Friday, December 30, 2011

Year-end donations! These organizations are awesome.

This is the time of year when a lot of people, maybe you, think "What organizations can I donate money to before the end of December 31st so that my donation will be tax-deductible for my 2011 taxes?" For example. Here are some stellar organizations you should consider; keep in mind that the Catholic Worker free clinic is not tax-deductible because they're not a non-profit, because they're too awesome for that. An asterisk -- * -- indicates those organizations I personally will be giving to, along with my usual charitable donations to my student loan providers.

Local:
ACT-UP Philly - because silence still equals death.
Camp Sojourner - girls' leadership camp led by my excellent friend Alisha
Girls Rock Philly
Philadelphia Health Access Project - working on expanding health insurance coverage in PHL
Philadelphia Student Union - I just can't say enough about these radical kids advocating for their right to quality education
*Women's Medical Fund - ensuring abortion access for all women, a stellar Philly organization

National:
Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere (COLAGE) - your donation will be doubled by a matching campaign
Jewish Dialogue Group
Media Mobilizing Project
NAACP
The Wounded Warrior Project

Global:
*Circle of Health International - "ensuring safe births during unsafe times"
Doctors Without Borders/MSF
*Jewish Voice for Peace - Israel/Palestine activism, the group that I most identify with politically, also has a matching campaign


Have a happy, safe, warm* new year!



* for all you Northern Hemisphere types

1 comment:

  1. Today I donated part of my bonus to:
    NAACP
    Sylvia Rivera Law Project
    Dixon Place

    Also:
    Coney Island, but I don't think that one is deductible.

    ReplyDelete