Friday, January 27, 2012

2/4: 3-5pm, QPOC parenting discussion

Hey friends,
One of my besties, Talia, is organizing an exciting discussion (below). Talia, as I'm sure you know, is my science friend. She has straight science parents, and it's been exciting seeing what a second-generation scientist talks about with her family and how they all think. Meanwhile I have gay non-science parents, and have taught her about being second-generation queer, and that has other implications for her life and our lives. This is such a juicy topic, and I'm psyched it's happening. Spread the word, invite your QPOC friends, get psyched!


Thinking about parenting as queer people of color (QPOCs)

An informal panel and group discussion

Are you an LGBTQ person of color?

Are you a parent?

Are you thinking about becoming a parent?

How are race and ethnicity important to you in terms of parenting?

What options and choices do we have?

What decisions have we made, and why?

Come hear other queer people of color speak about their experiences, talk about your own,

share stories and ask questions about parenting and creating families.

Saturday, February 4th, 2012

3-5 pm

Exact location in Center City Philadelphia TBD

depending on how many people are interested.

Childcare provided.

RSVP to Talia Young

(talia.young [at] gmail [dot] com or eight four eight, two two eight, two five four two by phone or text),

and let me know if you will need childcare.


This event is for LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer) people of color at all stages of parenting –

people thinking about becoming parents, those in the middle of the process, and long-time and experienced parents.

"I'm a queer person of color and...

I want to have children who are racially similar to me, and am not sure how to do that or how important it is to me.

I’m thinking about becoming a foster parent and don’t know anybody else who has fostered kids.

I want to have children and don’t want to or can’t get pregnant – what are some of my options?

I want to adopt and don’t know how I feel about how there are so many LGBTQ (mostly white) parents

adopting children of color from this and other countries.

I want to have children without a partner and am looking for some advice.

I want to adopt, but don’t know if I can afford it.

I want to and can get pregnant, and want to learn more about how other people have done it.

I’ve always wanted kids, and I’m with someone now who has children from a previous relationship.

What have other people done in this situation?"

No comments:

Post a Comment